By: Gary Whiting, PDG and District Governor Nominee Committee Chair
Nominations of candidates to serve as District Governor in 2016-17 are due to District Governor Jay Jones on or before Dec. 15, 2013. Any club in good standing may nominate a candidate, who may be a member of the club or the member of another club (with that club’s concurrence). The interviews are scheduled in February, 2014 (date to be announced).
The RI Manual of Procedure spells out the qualifications, which are summarized below:
- At the time of taking office (July 1, 2016), the candidate must have been a member of a Rotary Club for at least seven years and must have attended the Governor-Elect Training Seminar (GETS) and the International Assembly. In District 5510, the candidate must also have attended the Governor Nominee Advanced Training Seminar (GNATS).
- At the time of nomination, the candidate must
- be a member of a functioning club in D5510
- be a past president of a Rotary Club (as defined in the bylaws of District 5510)
- meet all other qualifications specified in the 2010 Rotary International Manual of Procedure.
To nominate a candidate, the club should adopt a resolution at a regular club meeting and submit the nomination to DG Jay Jones no later than Dec. 15, 2013. The resolution shall:
- certify that the candidate meets the Qualifications for District Governor as provided in the current RI Manual of Procedure (2010 Edition)
- include a picture of the candidate
- include a résumé and biographical sketch of the candidate’s personal and Rotary background.
- Send to DG Jay at:
- 8067 E. Autumn Sage Trail
- Gold Canyon, AZ 85118
In addition, the candidate must complete the Governor Nominee Data Form, which must then be signed by the candidate and the Club Secretary and then sent to DG Jay Jones.
All Member Clubs should refer to the 2010 RI Manual of Procedure regarding prohibitions against promotion of a candidate.
Details and copies of the Applications may be obtained from your Club President or use this link District Governor Nominee Info and Application . The qualification and duties of the District Governor and the selection process are outlined in Article 2 (“The District”) of the 2010 Manual of Procedure. They are also covered in the Rotary International By-Laws (Articles 10, 12, and 13) and in the Rotary Code of Policies (Articles 17, 19, 21, and 26).
Questions may be directed to District Governor Jay Jones:
- Cell Phone: 480-227-1540